Linlithgow Rose v Bo’ness Athletic (Cup)

In a thrilling Cup encounter at Prestonfield, Bo’ness proved their might, commanding a resounding 5-1 victory over Linlithgow Rose, propelling them to a triumphant advancement in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. An early 4-0 lead at half-time seemed reminiscent of a familiar script, yet Bo’ness didn’t falter in the second half, elevating their lead to a formidable 5-0 before Linlithgow managed a consolation goal, cementing one of Bo’ness’s most historic victories.

The formidable duo of Robertson and M. Weir, with contributions from Snedden, spearheaded Bo’ness’s win, highlighting the team’s prowess and intent to dominate the opposition. Two goals each from Robertson and M. Weir, accompanied by a fine finish from Snedden, marked a resounding passage into the next round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup.

From the opening moments, Bo’ness’s hunger was evident as they pursued the ball with ferocity. Just five minutes in, M. Weir had the first shot, fired straight at the keeper, offering an easy save for the Linlithgow stopper.

However, within moments, Bo’ness struck, surging ahead in an electrifying fashion. A lofted pass from MacKay to Robertson on the left flank set the stage. A deflected ball from Ogilvie led to Robertson thundering a high-velocity shot past the goalkeeper, sending the Linlithgow crowd into stunned silence.

As the match progressed, Bo’ness’s relentless attacking display was evident. Macdonald’s audacious attempt, followed by a near miss from Robertson, showcased their intentions, the scoreline, however, remained 1-0.

The 13th minute witnessed a jubilant celebration from Bo’ness, as Ogilvie’s precise delivery to M. Weir allowed a composed finish, doubling their lead to 2-0. The Linlithgow fans looked on, left in disbelief.

In the 20th minute, M. Weir turned provider, carving through the left wing and serving a pinpoint cross to Snedden, who struck the third goal with confidence. As he wheeled away in celebration the Linlithgow players could only look to each other.

Only six minutes later, Bo’ness bolstered their lead to 4-0 in remarkable fashion. A sweeping cross-field pass from Shank found Ogilvie, who elegantly delivered a pass to Mitchell. Unmarked, Robertson had little trouble in slotting the ball into the net, further deflating Linlithgow.

Linlithgow’s attempts late in the first half posed no real threat to Currid, ensuring Bo’ness’s impressive 4-0 lead at halftime. However, Bo’ness went looking to turn the screw even firther as M. Weir had another chance to add to his tally when his shot from close range seemed to be palmed over the bar by the keeper , then Robertson found Ogilvie in the box and his effort came back off the post , was cleared to MacDonald and his half volley looked goal bound but was clear away by a headed deflection.

The second half commenced with Bo’ness displaying a hunger akin to the initial kick-off. A six-minute delay due to a knock sustained by Sharples necessitated a substitution with Simpson stepping in.

The climax of the match unfolded at the 59-minute mark when Robertson embarked on an incredible run from his own half. His mesmerizing dribbling down the left flank ended with a sensational assist to M. Weir, extending Bo’ness’s lead to an insurmountable 5-0.

The management then replaced MacDonald with R. Weir, further solidifying Bo’ness’s dominant position, effectively shutting down any potential comeback hopes by Linlithgow.

Despite Linlithgow’s efforts, including a curling shot, and a late consolation goal by their substitute no.18, courtesy of a brilliant through ball, there was no tangible threat to Bo’ness’s commanding lead.

Sneddon, stepping in as a 16-year-old substitute for Ogilvie, displayed remarkable composure under pressure, upholding the team’s strength and resolve in the crucial fixture.

In the final moments, a potential penalty claim by Sneddon was disregarded by the referee, and the long eight minutes of injury time seemed to stretch for both teams for different reasons. However, the final whistle marked Bo’ness’s celebration, rejoicing in their spectacular accomplishment.

This victory holds an esteemed place in Bo’ness’s history. To overcome a team currently in the Lowland league in such convincing fashion is a testament to the club’s capability. Not even Raith Rovers could match this resounding score-line at Prestonfield in their two recent fixtures with Linlithgow. Bo’ness’s unmatched performance paves the way for future encounters, and the team marches forward with confidence for the next round of this competition.


Final Score: Linlithgow Rose 1 – Bo’ness Athletic 5
East of Scotland Qualifying Cup Third Round

Linlithgow Rose v Bo’ness Athletic (Cup)

It was the very definition of a game of two halves which saw Bo’ness storm into a 3 goal lead at half time but lose the game 5 -3 at Prestonfield. Bo’ness started the game strongly and Linlithgow looked out of ideas when Sharples won the ball back in the Bo’ness half , he played a short pass to Shanks who lofted a long pass up the left hand side for Robertson to run on to. It only took one touch and a shot across goal to beat the Linlithgow goalkeeper.

16 minutes later Linlithgow conceded a penalty and Robertson blasted home from the spot. The Linlithgow keeper got a touch to it but the ball spun under his body and in.

The home crowd were stunned on 42 minutes when MacDonald, from 20 yards out, slotted the ball past the Linlithgow keeper’s left hand post with a clinical shot.

Linlithgow came out the second half with a change of tactics and pulled a quick goal back on 51 minutes., followed by two more goals in the space of 9 minutes.

Two more Linlithgow goals on 63 and 72 minutes put the game to bed to send Linlithgow into the final of the Centenary Cup.

It was a splendid second half performance from former Bo’ness player, Dylan Paterson who netted 4 of the 5 Linlithgow goals and was nominated Linlithgow’s Man of the Match.

Final Score: Linlithgow Rose 5 – 3 Bo’ness Athletic
The East of Scotland League Centenary Cup, Semi-Final