Newtongrange Star v Bo’ness Athletic

Bo’ness Football Club suffered a disappointing exit from the League Cup, succumbing to a 3-1 defeat against Newtongrange Star in a Tuesday night encounter. Despite an early second-half equaliser from Weir, two late goals dashed Bo’ness’s hopes of retaining the cup they clinched at the conclusion of the previous season.

In a first half marked by scarce clear-cut opportunities for either side, Newtongrange broke the deadlock just before the interval. A lengthy free-kick was lofted into the box, where Currid, rushed out to claim it. However, it was the Newtongrange number 4 who outmanoeuvred him, nodding the ball into the net to give the visitors the lead.

The second half commenced with Bo’ness swiftly restoring parity within five minutes. A moment of intricate build-up play saw MacDonald orchestrate a deft pass to Cunningham, who, with his back to goal, deftly laid the ball into the path of the advancing Weir. Weir exhibited composure, calmly dispatching the ball into the far corner of the net, igniting hopes of a Bo’ness resurgence.

Both sides engaged in a relentless pursuit of a decisive goal, prompting Bo’ness to introduce substitutes Duncan, MacKay, and Cameron in a bid to tip the scales in their favour. However, the pivotal moment arrived in the 85th minute, as Newtongrange dealt a devastating blow. Embarking on a surging run from beyond the centre circle, the Newtongrange number 6 bamboozled the Bo’ness defence with a clever feint before threading a precise through ball to the onrushing number 7, who coolly slotted the ball past Currid, reinstating Newtongrange’s advantage.

With time dwindling, Bo’ness’s hopes were dashed further by a defensive lapse. A misguided pass from Woodburn, delivered with excessive velocity from the flank, forced Currid into a hasty clearance attempt. However, the Newtongrange attacker pounced swiftly, intercepting the clearance and sending the ball looping into the net, sealing a 3-1 victory and condemning Bo’ness to elimination.

The defeat proved a bitter pill to swallow for Bo’ness, particularly after their triumph in the League Cup the previous season. Nevertheless, the players are poised to shift their focus towards forthcoming league fixtures, with the remainder of the season promising an enthralling climax. Despite the disappointment, Bo’ness remains resolute in their pursuit of success, determined to rebound from this setback and stake their claim in the competitive landscape of domestic football.

Final Score: Newtongrange Star 3  – 1 Bo’ness Athletic
East of Scotland League Cup Second Round

Match Highlights: