Tweedmouth Rangers v Bo’ness Athletic (League)



Bo’ness continued their impressive league campaign with yet another victory, this time south of the border in England, ensuring their unblemished record remained intact. It has become customary for Bo’ness to find the net and this match was no exception, with Shearer, MacDonald, and Robertson notching up five goals between them.

Surprisingly, the game didn’t start perfectly for Bo’ness, as Tweedmouth seized an early opportunity. Just one minute into the match, a deep cross prompted Shanks to step out, but Tweedmouth’s No. 7 timed his run to perfection. He met the cross and calmly side-footed a low shot past the helpless Currid. It was a remarkable start for Tweedmouth, who had yet to secure a single point in the league this season.

Tweedmouth had an opportunity to double their lead just two minutes later, with a cutback and a shot from the edge of the 18-yard box sailing high over the bar.

Following this, Tweedmouth’s chances in the first half were scarce, as Bo’ness upped their game and took control of proceedings.

For the next 20 minutes, Bo’ness launched an unrelenting assault. The first chance came from a free-kick by Ryan Robertson, which floated to the back post. The Tweedmouth goalkeeper managed to get a fingertip to it, deflecting it past the post, preventing Simpson from heading it home. Robertson had another attempt moments later, cutting back to the corner of the 18-yard box and unleashing a low shot towards the keeper’s near post, but the keeper gathered it comfortably.

Main then delivered a pinpoint cross from the right, finding Shearer unmarked, but he agonizingly steered his header wide of the post. In a similar situation, Main once again provided a precise pass across the goal towards Shearer, but this time the Tweedmouth defence managed to clear it for a corner with a sliding challenge.

From the ensuing corner, Robertson floated a cross to the edge of the six-yard box, where Paterson rose for a header but couldn’t direct it enough, sending it upwards and over the bar.

Finally, Bo’ness’s relentless pressure paid off as they were awarded a corner. Robertson delivered the ball to the back post again, where Simpson headed it back across the goal for Shearer to side-foot it home from a mere yard out.

Just three minutes later, Bo’ness took the lead. Simpson dashed down the left flank to collect the ball and found an unmarked MacDonald in the box. MacDonald had all the time he needed to launch a wicked left-footed shot high into the top left-hand corner of the net.

With Main now operating on the left, he received a pass and delivered an inch-perfect ball to MacDonald, who was once again unmarked on the right-hand side of the six-yard box. MacDonald took a touch and fired home a right-footed shot, extending Bo’ness’s lead. The first half concluded with a scoreline of 3-1 in Bo’ness’s favour.

Prior to this match, Bo’ness had been averaging slightly over four goals per game in the league. As the second half commenced, Bo’ness sought to add to their tally. However, Tweedmouth had the first chance of the final 45 minutes with a shot from the right, but the No. 3 blazed it high over the bar.

Robertson was determined to get his name on the scoresheet, blasting a shot over from close range a minute later. He followed it up with a turn and shot, but the attempt was straight at the keeper, who easily held it.

In the 56th minute, Main advanced down the right-hand side, entered the box, and appeared to be brought down by the keeper. However, the referee saw no foul.

Shearer then had an opportunity to extend Bo’ness’s lead, meeting a low cross into the box but failing to steer the ball into the net, narrowly sending it wide of the far post.

Finally, Robertson was rewarded for his persistence, receiving a well-executed pass from Shearer and calmly side-footing a shot past the keeper in the 59th minute.

Bo’ness appealed for another penalty when M. Weir seemed to be sandwiched between two Tweedmouth players in the six-yard box while collecting a loose ball. However, the referee remained unmoved.

Tweedmouth, displaying commendable resilience, managed to pull a goal back in the 73rd minute. The No. 20 demonstrated great footwork as he entered the Bo’ness box, feigned a shot to send the keeper to the ground, and slotted the ball into the net with composure.

Two minutes later, Meechan had a golden opportunity to seal the game, meeting a Main cross from the left but firing a shot over the bar from seven yards out.

Robertson, in search of his second goal of the match, had a close-range shot blocked by the diving keeper. However, he quickly made amends by receiving a short pass from Meechan in the box. From approximately 16 yards out, he took a touch and fired a shot, from a stanging position, into the bottom right-hand corner, a strike that left the keeper with no chance.

Bo’ness had one final chance as Main entered the box, firing a left-footed shot towards goal. However, the Tweedmouth No. 5 managed to deflect it past the post.

This fixture marked Bo’ness’s furthest away trip, but they returned with three well-deserved points. Bottom-of-the-league Tweedmouth demonstrated resilience and scored two impressive goals. However, once Bo’ness gained the lead, the outcome appeared never in doubt.

Final Score: Tweedmouth Rangers 2 – 5 Bo’ness Athletic
The East of Scotland Second Division League Match No. 8


Date Time League Season
30/09/2023 14:30 East of Scotland Second Division 2023/24


Shielfield Stadium
Etal Rd, Tweedmouth, Berwick-upon-Tweed TD15 2EQ


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Tweedmouth Rangers122
Bo’ness Athletic355

Bo’ness Athletic

1Fraser Currid Goalkeeper
2Ryan Shanks Defender
4Warren Paterson Defender 31'
15Jack Sharples Defender
6Craig Snedden Midfielder
10Callum MacDonald 14 Midfielder 19', 20'
11Ryan Robertson Forward 57', 84'
13Kyle Wilson Goalkeeper
14Michael Weir 10 Midfielder
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO 16 19 20 31 57 60 60 60 84 FT