Armadale Thistle v Bo’ness Athletic (League)



Bo’ness faced a formidable challenge at Volunteer Park, where a goal in each half earned them a vital three points in a gruelling league clash.

Bo’ness kicked off the match brightly, donning their striking all-red strip. Early on, Robertson cut inside at the edge of the 18-yard box, but his shot narrowly missed the right-hand post. Moments later, MacDonald laid off a pass to MacKay, who attempted an audacious shot from 30 yards out, only to send it soaring high above the bar.

The first goal of the game arrived on the 8th minute mark when M. Weir outpaced a defender and latched onto a lofted pass through the middle. Despite the keeper’s valiant attempt to block the shot with his left foot, the ball deflected straight to MacDonald, who executed a sublime left-footed strike into the right corner of the net.

Armadale had their initial chance of the game when a cross into the box was parried down by Currid, but Mitchell was quick to clear the danger.

Robertson then unleashed a wild shot across the goal, but no Bo’ness player was there to capitalize.
The pressure from Bo’ness remained relentless and on the 13th minute, Robertson made a sharp run down the left flank, cutting back to find M. Weir, whose shot was expertly saved by the Armadale keeper, deflecting it out for a corner.
Bo’ness had a strong appeal for a penalty a few minutes later when R. Weir delivered a cross into the box. The Armadale No.5 seemed to raise his arms and push MacDonald inside the box, but the referee wasn’t interested.

Outstanding defending from Sharples in the 35th minute denied Armadale an equalizer as he blocked a pass from Armadale’s No. 10 to the onrushing striker in the Bo’ness box.

Shortly thereafter, M. Weir’s header sailed just wide of the keeper’s far post following a cross into the box from Snedden.

As half-time approached, Armadale gained momentum and had two opportunities. The first came from a corner, with Paterson rising highest to clear, and moments later, he made a crucial tackle inside the box to thwart Armadale’s No. 9.

The teams headed into half-time with Bo’ness leading 1-0, and MacDonald made way for Main as the second half commenced.
Armadale had the first chance of the second half when their No. 9 played a ball across the front of goal, narrowly missing the connection with their No. 8.

In the 53rd minute, McInnes substituted on for M. Weir, and Armadale found themselves a man down due to a player raising his hands.
Simpson won a header just outside the box, and Main picked up the ball, rolling a pass towards the penalty spot for R. Weir, who unleashed a side-footed shot towards goal, only to be denied by a fantastic save from the keeper.

A deep cross into the Bo’ness box caused problems, but their No. 2 failed to make a proper connection, squandering a chance.

Despite several attempts, it wasn’t Robertson’s day, as he missed two opportunities within three minutes inside the box.
McInnes won a tussle with Armadale’s No. 2 at the corner flag, running into the box with the ball. His low-driven effort forced the keeper to dive towards his near post, guiding it out for a corner.
Robertson then cut back on the 18-yard box, curling a shot that hit the bar and went over.
Paterson, aiming to increase his tally of headed goals, had his effort saved by the keeper, and the ball smashed off the bar, denying him another goal.
Bo’ness won a free-kick 23 yards out, and McInnes struck a low shot past the wall, but the keeper reacted quickly, steering it just wide of the post.

In the 85th minute, Snedden made way for Turnbull.

During the final five minutes, Bo’ness endured a scare when Currid played a pass back that struck the onrushing Armadale No. 10. However, the effort from a tight angle went slightly high and wide.

Bo’ness ultimately sealed the game two minutes later when McInnes outmuscled Armadale’s No. 2 in the box. He took his time and played a precise ball across to Turnbull, who had arrived in the box. With one touch, Turnbull curled a right-footed shot inside the right-hand post.

Today was not Robertson’s day, but Bo’ness managed to secure a hard-fought victory in what proved to be their toughest league fixture of the season thus far. This well-deserved win on the road, combined with another clean sheet, propelled them to the top of the table, with a game in hand.

Final Score: Armadale Thistle 0 – 2 Bo’ness Athletic
The East of Scotland Second Division League Match No. 6


Date Time League Season
09/09/2023 14:30 East of Scotland Second Division 2023/24


Volunteer Park
7 North St, Armadale, Bathgate EH48 3QB


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Armadale Thistle000
Bo’ness Athletic122

Bo’ness Athletic

1Fraser Currid Goalkeeper
2Jonny Mitchell Defender
4Warren Paterson Defender
15Jack Sharples Defender
6Jason Mackay Midfielder 63'
8Craig Snedden 14 Midfielder
9Michael Weir 15 Midfielder
10Callum MacDonald 12 Midfielder 8'
11Ryan Robertson Forward
13Kyle Wilson Goalkeeper
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO 8 45 54 63 82 85 92 FT