Kirkcaldy & Dysart v Bo’ness Athletic (Cup)

Bo’ness Football Club secured a convincing passage to the next stage of the King Cup, demonstrating their prowess at the Alex Penman Park with a resounding 3-1 victory. The encounter unfolded with a first-half strike from MacDonald, followed by two similar goals in the second half, courtesy of Heaver and Ogilvie, cementing Bo’ness’s triumph on the pitch.

Right from the kick off, Bo’ness exhibited their intent, with MacDonald launching a long-range effort that tested the Kirkcaldy goalkeeper within the opening minute. However, the Kirkcaldy stopper swiftly reacted, denying MacDonald’s attempt and keeping the scoreboard level.

In the early exchanges, Kirkcaldy threatened from a corner, with the number 12’s header narrowly evading the target, providing Bo’ness with a fortunate escape from conceding.

As the match progressed, Bo’ness gradually asserted their dominance, with Heaver’s industrious play down the left flank creating opportunities. Despite Cunningham’s deft setup for MacDonald, the latter’s initial attempt was thwarted by the keeper, only for MacDonald to redeem himself moments later by slotting home a simple tap-in after the keeper spilled Heaver’s shot into his path.

As Bo’ness sought to extend their lead, Robertson’s effort from the edge of the box sailed over the bar, signalling the home side’s defensive vulnerability. However, Kirkcaldy rallied with successive attempts, including a curling free-kick and a shot from a corner, both of which were comfortably dealt with by Bo’ness goalkeeper Currid.

The first half concluded with Bo’ness pressing for a second goal, as MacDonald and Heaver orchestrated attacking moves. Despite their efforts, including Heaver’s near miss, the score remained unchanged at half time.

During the interval, Irvine made a tactical substitution, introducing Ogilvie in place of the injured Robertson, as Bo’ness prepared for the second half.

Kirkcaldy emerged from the break with renewed determination, swiftly equalising within a minute of play. A well-placed cross found the Kirkcaldy forward, who made no mistake in slotting the ball past the Bo’ness defence, highlighting the vulnerability of the home side’s backline.

Undeterred by the setback, Bo’ness responded positively, with Paterson’s header striking the post from a corner, before Cunningham’s effort was thwarted by the alert Kirkcaldy keeper.

The breakthrough came after a quarter of an hour into the second half, as Heaver capitalised on a through ball down the left, calmly slotting the ball past the onrushing keeper to restore Bo’ness’s lead.

Buoyed by the goal, Bo’ness doubled their advantage six minutes later, as Ogilvie expertly finished from a similar one-on-one situation, deftly placing the ball through the legs of the Kirkcaldy keeper.

Despite Kirkcaldy’s late resurgence, Bo’ness held firm, denying their opponents any chance of a comeback. As the final whistle blew, Bo’ness emerged victorious, securing their passage to the next round of the King Cup.

The victory served as a redemption for Bo’ness following their recent disappointment against Thornton Hibs, with new signing Heaver making a notable impact with his first goal for the club, earning plaudits for his impressive performance in the blue colours of Bo’ness Athletic Football Club.

Final Score: Kirkcaldy & Dysart 1 – 3 Bo’ness Athletic
The King Cup Second Round

Match Highlights