Bo’ness Athletic v Whitburn

Bo’ness set Newtown Park ablaze in a scintillating clash that saw them dominate the 1st Division league leaders Whitburn, kicking off their triumphant march through a series of various Cup clashes with a thunderous 6-2 victory. Goals rained down from the heavens, courtesy of M. Weir (twice), Ogilvie (also twice), Woodburn, and Paterson, propelling them into the next round of the King Cup on a rain-drenched afternoon.

The home side exuded confidence from the get-go, riding high on their recent triumph over Lowland League Linlithgow just over a week prior. Their swagger was unmistakable, evident as early as the 3rd minute when M. Weir ignited the scoreboard, seizing an opportunity created by a shaky pass-back between Whitburn’s No. 8 and their goalkeeper. Weir took advantage of a bobble and effortlessly tapped in, setting the tone for Bo’ness’s dominance.

Barely three minutes later, Ogilvie stretched their advantage. A masterful diagonal delivery from Shanks found Ogilvie’s chest, from which the striker’s first-time shot, taken at an acute angle, pierced the net on the opposite side, leaving the keeper grasping at thin air.

Robertson nearly buried Whitburn on the 12th minute, his unmarked strike hammering the left-hand upright, much to the visitors’ relief.

Although Bo’ness crafted numerous opportunities, they failed to capitalize until the 36th minute. MacDonald’s precise pass found Ogilvie, who cleverly evaded the offside trap, outmaneuvered the keeper, and expertly buried the ball into the left corner, solidifying Bo’ness’s commanding 3-0 lead at the break.

The second half saw Whitburn struggling to find their footing. Despite a player limping off in the first half, due to injury, they attempted to rally, but Bo’ness continued their relentless onslaught. Woodburn’s towering header off a corner in the 57th minute soared over the keeper, effectively sealing the fate of the match.

Whitburn fought back, clawing a goal through a well-executed reverse pass, but Bo’ness swiftly replied. M. Weir’s run into the box resulted in a shot deflecting off a Whitburn player, sending their keeper the wrong way and further extending Bo’ness’s lead.

Despite Robertson’s persistent attempts, luck eluded him, denying him another goal-scoring opportunity.

Whitburn managed to notch another goal in the 66th minute, leaving Currid helpless with a clinical strike. Both Weirs came agonizingly close to adding to the tally, but near-misses kept the scoreline unchanged.

A final flourish came from Paterson’s emphatic header off a perfectly delivered corner by Robertson, sealing the deal. In the dying moments, Whitburn’s No. 7 received a second yellow, sealing their fate as Bo’ness basked in a well-deserved triumph.

This resounding 6-2 victory over a higher division rival sets the stage for Bo’ness to embrace any challenge in the next round of the King Cup. Their display of prowess has cemented their status as formidable contenders, ready to take on any adversary that dares to cross their path.

Final Score: Bo’ness Athletic 6 – 2 Whitburn
King Cup 1st Round First Round