Bo’ness Athletic v Peebles Rovers

Bo’ness continued their league campaign in impressive fashion, securing a 5-1 triumph over Peebles Rovers. The result extended their lead at the top of the table to a commanding five points, with the added bonus of a game in hand. Two goals each from Robertson and Shearer, along with a late strike from substitute McAteer, ensured that Bo’ness maintained their flawless record, having secured maximum points from all seven league fixtures.

In the early stages of the match, Peebles Rovers proved to be a tough nut to crack, with Bo’ness struggling to find a breakthrough. However, their persistence paid off after 15 minutes when the prolific Robertson opened the scoring. Main initiated a move with a run into the box and a shot that forced a save from the goalkeeper’s feet. The rebound fell to Shearer, who demonstrated exceptional composure in the box, setting up Main once more. Despite Main’s effort being deflected, it landed perfectly for Robertson just outside the six-yard box. He struck a shot into the ground, causing it to bounce over the helpless goalkeeper and into the net.

Not to be outdone, Peebles launched an immediate counter-attack. Their No. 6 unleashed a shot from the edge of the D, requiring Currid to be alert and make a diving save to palm the ball over the bar.

The match then entered a fairly evenly balanced spell with both sides battling for control. MacDonald exhibited his trademark close ball control, driving into the box, but the Peebles defence held firm, blocking his shot before clearing the danger.

In a remarkable moment of skill, MacDonald, on the goal linem, with the ball seemingly glued to his feet, dinked it up past two opponents from a standing position. He then circumvented them, collected the ball, and delivered a short pass to Shearer. With precision, Shearer left-footed the ball past the stranded goalkeeper.

Just five minutes later, a long ball from the right found Shearer in a wide position. Despite the acute angle, he met the ball on the half-volley and dispatched it into the net. Bo’ness were firmly in control, with 35 minutes on the clock.

Peebles mounted a late first-half threat, with Shanks required to clear a dangerous cross for a corner in the 38th minute. From the ensuing corner, the ball eventually arrived back in the danger zone, appearing to strike Sharples and threaten Currid’s goal. However, Currid scrambled to his goal line, managing to scoop the ball away, preventing a Peebles goal.

Shearer, eager to replicate his previous hat-trick heroics, had another attempt shortly after. He collected the ball at the edge of the 18-yard box, executed a diagonal run, and fired a shot towards the goal. However, it posed no real trouble for the goalkeeper.

Just before the half-time whistle, a free-kick into the box found Shearer at the back post. He laid the ball off to Snedden, who had advanced into the box amd struck a first-time shot into the side netting.

The second half saw M. Weir and R. Weir take the field, replacing Turnbull and MacDonald.

Peebles had a couple of opportunities to claw their way back into the match following the break, but neither effort seriously tested Currid.

In the 57th minute, Bo’ness played a corner directly to Paterson in the box, who connected well with the ball. However, it somehow ran out of play past the post.

Peebles came close to pulling one back four minutes later when a ball played across goal found an unmarked player about ten yards out. His ferocious shot struck the post before being cleared to safety.

Chances continued to flow for both teams, with Main delivering a deep cross from the left to Robertson, whose header narrowly missed the target. A minute later, Robertson fired a shot wide of the left-hand post following a well-orchestrated combination between him and Shearer.

In the 65th minute, Mitchell was forced to leave the field due to a head injury sustained while attempting a clearance. Simpson stepped in as his replacement.

Peebles finally reaped the rewards of their perseverance with a superb strike from the corner of the 18-yard box. The player made the execution appear effortless, lofting the ball over Currid and into the top corner of the net.

On the 75th minute, Shearer and Main made way for substitutes Meechan and McAteer.

Five minutes later, Robertson once again demonstrated his prowess. He latched onto a through ball, outpaced the defence, and confidently dispatched it beyond the goalkeeper, taking his season’s goal tally to an impressive 16 goals in competitive matches.

With five minutes remaining, Robertson narrowly missed with a header from a free-kick. Then, McAteer had a header expertly palmed over the bar by the Peebles goalkeeper. Finally, with a sweet left-footed strike at the near post, McAteer concluded the match with a 5-1 result.

Credit must be given to Peebles for putting up a determined fight throughout the fixture. Nevertheless, Bo’ness displayed their superior strength and quality across the park, with their goal tally continuing to rise.

Final Score: Bo’ness Athletic 5 – 1 Peebles Rovers
The East of Scotland Second Division League Match No. 7

Match Highlights: