Bo’ness Athletic v Heriot-Watt Uni

Bo’ness stormed into the next round of The East of Scotland Qualifying Cup with 3 second half goals to overturn Heriot-Watt University’s first half opener.
The game saw the return of Paterson who had been out with a long term injury. His return was welcome due to injuries to 1st team regulars Woodburn and Shanks.
Woodburn was injured midweek in training and Shanks picked up a knock last week against Edinburgh College. New signing Calum Ferguson was thrust into the first team defensive line up.

For Bo’ness, few chances were carved out in the first half and a deep cross from outside the box on the left, over to the keeper’s far post saw a lunging Main guide ball into the goal with the diving keeper unable to keep the ball out. Straight away the referee blew for an offside who adjudged Main to be marginally offside. The replay showed the decision to be correct.
Heriot-Watt took the lead on 40 mins with a fine finish from their no.9 who, up until that point, proved a real handful for Bo’ness.

A half-time substitution saw McInnes replace Ferguson in a bid to add more fire power up front.
It only took 3 minutes into the 2nd half for Bo’ness to level the score. A free kick on the right from the corner of the 18 year box fizzed low across goal, appeared to bypass everyone except Sharples at the back post to tap in.
At the 66th minute mark, Turnbull replaced MacDonald for the final Bo’ness substitution.
As the game entered the final 10 minutes a draw looked ominous but on 82 minutes a long ball down the left found Robertson, and with the keeper out to chase it down deflected the ball back out to M. Weir who deftly struck a sweet left foot shot over the keeper and two defenders and into the goal.

The game was put to bed after the 90 minutes were up, when hard working Robertson down the left hand side again ran into the box and was scythed down by the oncoming Heriot-Watt defender. The referee had no option but to point to the spot. McInnes held his nerve and sent the keeper the wrong way rolling the ball into the net to give Bo’ness a 3-1 win and into the draw for the next round.

Final Score: Bo’ness Athletic 3 – 1 Heriot-Watt University
The East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, Second Round

Match Highlights