Bo’ness Athletic v Edinburgh College

Newtown Park was the battleground for a physical clash that saw Bo’ness reinstating their winning rhythm with an emphatic 7-0 conquest over Edinburgh College, catapulting them a commanding four points clear at the top of the league table. Goals from the likes of Robertson, MacDonald, M. Weir, and Mitchell signified a robust and compelling performance from a full-strength Bo’ness squad, fortified by another shutout from Currid marshalling the defence.

In an electrifying start, a swift delivery over the top found M. Weir charging into the box, only to be thwarted by the keeper’s decisive punch. However, the keeper’s athletic intervention resulted in a possible injury, but valiantly, he continued despite appearing to suffer a hand or wrist issue. Just moments later, MacDonald dared an audacious lob from the edge of the 18-yard area. Although the keeper appeared in control, his injury played a part, inadvertently dropping the ball, and in a split second, Robertson was alert, heading home from close range to grant Bo’ness an early 1-0 lead.

The injury brought an early curtain call for the Edinburgh stopper, swiftly replaced by a stand-in keeper, setting the stage for a whirlwind of action. In the 16th minute, Edinburgh, on the offensive, exploited gaps, with their number 10 unleashing a strike from 25 yards, narrowly missing the target.

Swift counterplay from Bo’ness, with Robertson storming down the left flank into the box, was swiftly cut off by a vigilant Edinburgh defender, preventing a potential goal. Seconds later, a splendid delivery into the goal area by Snedden found R. Weir unmarked, yet the stand-in keeper made a commendable save, denying Bo’ness from extending their lead.

With positional alterations between Robertson and Weir, a lively spell of play saw Robertson manoeuvred to the right flank. A splendid showcase of footwork and quick manoeuvring from Shanks led to a tantalising ball across the goal to Robertson, whose shot narrowly missed the target.

A defensive clearance created an opportunity, with the ball dropping to Snedden, who attempted a spectacular volley, unfortunately soaring over the bar. At the 23-minute mark, Edinburgh came close to equalizing as their striker shrugged off Woodburn, but a valiant run from Snedden into the box derailed the attempt, steering the ball wide.

Five minutes later, Bo’ness surged further ahead as Mitchell initiated a low pass into the box, enabling M. Weir to elegantly guide a left-footed shot from close range, securing the second goal.

Edinburgh College was inches away from a comeback when their forward had an acre of space and fired from 18 yards, only to see the ball smack the outside of the post. Back on the attack, Robertson glided down the left flank, delivering an exquisite pass to MacDonald at the far post, who had an easy tap-in, increasing the lead to 3-0 before the half-time whistle.

The second half witnessed Bo’ness asserting its dominance, creating one opportunity after another. Among the many chances, M. Weir’s audacious lob from 24 yards on the left wing was met by a fingertip save from the keeper, potentially preventing a goal-of-the-season contender.

MacDonald, who had earlier squandered a straightforward chance, found redemption when R. Weir, displaying selflessness, passed across the box to MacDonald, who elegantly side-footed the ball into the far corner, amplifying Bo’ness’s lead to 4-0 and his second of the game.

Robertson then secured his brace with a magnificent header, outmanoeuvring the defender before launching a low right-footed shot home, leaving the fans in raptures.

The 76th minute saw Bo’ness executing the first of their strategic substitutions. MacDonald made way for Simpson to offer defensive exposure while Mitchell was propelled forward. Minutes later, Bo’ness extended their lead to 6-0 with a scintillating hat-trick goal from Robertson. An ingenious play from R. Weir, who held up the play in the box, provided a precise pass to Robertson, whose accurate strike found the net.

The management seized the moment, making three substitutions in the 80th minute. M. Weir, Snedden, and Robertson were replaced by Ogilvie and Irvine, offering the promising under-20s Joel Sneddon and Blair Lenathen their first senior team exposure. As the rain intensified, the match drew to a close, with a R. Weir’s effort deflected high over the bar.

In the dying moments of the match at the 91st minute, Mitchell took possession and calmly placed a left foot shot from the edge of the D into the keeper’s far left corner, culminating in a dazzling finish and a comprehensive 7-0 score-line.

Despite R. Weir’s yearning for a personal goal, his integral contributions in and around the Edinburgh box in the second half were unmissable. The young substitutes seamlessly integrated into the senior team, signifying a bright future for Bo’ness.

In this high-scoring match, Bo’ness once again underlined their domineering home record, averaging an impressive 5.5 goals per match across all competitions.

The high tempo clash at Newtown Park encapsulated Bo’ness’s might and tactical flair, fostering optimism and showcasing their unwavering spirit in the pursuit of another league victory.

Final Score: Bo’ness Athletic 7 – 0 Edinburgh College
The East of Scotland Second Division League Match No. 11